Category Archives: Quilts for Kids

Quiltathon Progress

img_4223Judy is having a Quiltathon this weekend. Unfortunately we don’t get Monday as a holiday so I’ll have to see what I can accomplish in just two days off.

Saturday: I cut and pieced two of the blocks for the Asian Saturday Sampler from 2007: September and October. Two more to go and I can think about a top. These took me several hours because of all the pieces to cut and sew. We were given Marty Mitchell templates to piece these blocks, but I’m finding that I can cut 2.5″ strips and use my easy angle ruler much faster and easier than using templates. I guess it’s all in what you prefer and that’s why it’s good to try new ways of doing something. You just might like it.

img_4224After those two blocks were done, I sewed together some more truck blocks for a Quilts for Kids quilt from my stash. All that one needs is borders now.  I also sandwiched another Quilts for Kids quilt that will go back with the kit I just finished for them. I’m using the Bravest Dragon fabric I got last weekend for the backs. Very cute for a boy quilt.

Sunday: Today, I’ve cut all pieces for the last two Asian Saturday Sampler blocks. They are sitting by my piecing machine ready for the speed piecing. I’ll post pics when they are complete.

I also FMQ the second Quilts for Kids quilt. This was my second attempt at using my FMQ foot on my Sapphire 850. I love it. The work is not perfect, just loops, meanders and a few practice hearts, but I think it turned out pretty good. I need to learn how to not get all crunched up when doing FMQ. My shoulders are tight. I hope to get the binding on both of these QFK quilts tonight but the day is fading fast.

Update: I managed to get both Quilts for Kids bound and finished tonight. Just need to wash and dry them and send them off to their new homes.

img_4236img_4235

January Stash Report

Well January isn’t quite over yet, but if I wait till tonight to report, it won’t get done. This is my first report for 2010. I’m keeping my log in Google Docs this year because I can publish it from there. Much easier. So here’s what I’ve bought and what I’ve used from stash this month.

It looks like not much sewing is going on, but let me add that I completed a Quilt for Kids top from a kit (I’ll quilt it today) and completed a QFK top from my stash. And, I put together a 56″ x 48″ top center using the Sassy Sixteen pattern. I used 2.5″ x 4.5″ scraps rather than the 3.5″ x 6.5″ called for in the pattern. I won the scraps in a blog giveaway. They were already precut and I had no idea what to do with them. It suddenly came to me that this would work and it did. I like the top much much better than the scraps. :) I’ll post of picture of it tomorrow since this top is currently on my design wall.

I also started and finished a Laurel Burch Christmas Wall Hanging top (sandwiched and waiting for quilting) and added a row to my String Diamonds quilt center. All the fabric for this quilt was already cut so I can’t count it as stash. However, note I counted the yards for the backing that I pieced.

I’m now in the habit of spending at least an hour each evening that I’m home on a quilting activity rather than sitting in front of the TV. So it’s been a very busy quilty month, just not much stash activity.

2009 Finishes!

It’s time I caught up with my blogging. Now that 2009 is rapidly coming to a close, I need to take stock of what I accomplished this year!img_3905

The most important completions for me recently are the two Quilts for Kids quilts that I finished and sent off before Christmas. The blue one was made from the quilt kit that Quilts for Kids sent to me. The Roman Stripes pink quilt is one I whipped up from scraps and sent along with the blue one.

roman-stripesThese were so much fun to make and a great way to improve my machine quilting skills. I have so much fabric that I want to make a few more of these from my own stash to send in early 2009. I think I’ll set myself a goal to complete two Quilts for Kids quilts per quarter in 2010.

img_3490In addition, this year I completed two baby quilts for my two co-workers. You can read more about those quilts here and here.

I also made a set of 4 quilted place mats for my good friend, Kathleen. She chose the fabric from my florals and I backed and bound them in a green blender so they are reversible.

img_3908And, I completed 30 quilted pot holders for my Zonta Holiday Party gift bags.

Oh, and I almost forgot the wall hanging that I made for my mother’s birthday in January. You can read about it here.

I think that’s all that I actually started and finished this year. Tomorrow I will list all of the quilts that I’ve started this year but remain WIPs. When you see that list, you’ll know why I haven’t had time to finish anything else. :)

Couple of Finishes Added

img_3905I know it’s been a long time since I’ve posted here. But it’s not because I haven’t been busy. I have a three finishes to add to the list.

All in all it’s been a pretty productive Fall. And, I’ve got a couple more quilts that just need some final quilting and binding. I hope to get those done in the next couple of weeks.

I’ve also got my Christmas Lights quilt on my design wall ready to have the corner triangles added to the rows so I can sew the rows together. I’d like to get the rows together before I start Bonnie’s new challenge, which will begin the day after Thanksgiving.